Lutsk Specialized School # 1
A Lesson on the Topic
the 5th Form
Conducted by the teacher of English
Inna Volodymyrivna Kinakh
The Theme: Health problems(Illnesses). Healthy life.
–To help students talk about health problems, healthy life
– To develop students’ reading skills
– To expand students’ vocabulary
– To develop students’ speaking and listening skills
By the end of the lesson students
- Will be able to talk about health problems, healthy life
- Will be more aware of health problems, healthy life
- Will develop the skills needed to perform a variety of speaking tasks of the theme encountered in everyday social and professional life.
- Will have revised the usage of the Past Continuous and Past Simple Tenses, of should
- Vocabulary: Ache, Pain, Sore throat, Dizziness ,A cold, the Flu, Illness ,Sneeze Trouble ,Recover ,Cure, Cough.
- Grammar: the Past Continuous and Past Simple Tenses, should
A blackboard, a computer, a whiteboard, chalk, cards, pictures, clue, a tape recorder, a CD, a student’s book and a workbook “More 2” Cambridge University Press.
- Prepare the learners psychologically for learning
(Introduction of the theme of the lesson)
- Students work to make up proverbs on topic “Health “by matching two parts.
1. Health is better A. bring safe to bed.
2. An apple a day B. is good cheer
3. Dry feet, warm head C. makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
4. The best of healers D. keeps a doctor away.
5. Early to bed early to rise E. than wealth.
- Health is better than wealth.
- An apple a day keeps a doctor away.
- Dry feet, warm head bring safe to bed.
- The best of healers is good cheer.
- Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
T.: So guess, what shall we speak about at our today’s lesson?
S.: About health problems, healthy life.
- Activate the learners’ background knowledge of the topic:
- How are you feeling today?
- What do we do when we have any health problems?
- Did you have any health problems last year?
- What problems did you have?
Vocabulary practice I
I T.: So today we shall speak about health problems, illnesses. Look to the board and guess what words are hidden there.
- Ceah Ache
- Ianp Pain
- Ores hrtaot Sore throat
- Izsd znies Dizziness
- Oacdl A cold
- Eulf het the Flu
- Eslsen Illness
- Ezesne Sneeze
- Lebluotr Trouble
- eecorvr Recover
- Eucr Cure
- Hguoc Cough.
- For further consolidation ask students to read the sentences in a table Health problems Worksheet 1 and complete it with necessary words.
• Then ask them to present their variants for the class reading aloud.
Speaking practice (Dialogues)
T.: Ann, you don’t look well. What’s troubling you?
S.: I’ve got a sore throat.
T.: What happened?
S.: I ate lots of ice cream yesterday.
T.: You should see a doctor.
Usually when we have some health problems we can use First Aid Box. So I can propose you to take out cards Health problems Worksheet 2 from the first aid box. Read the situations and bring them into play.
In groups of two students make up their own dialogues using the lexical units from the tables which were completed before and present them to the class.
Pre -listening stage
T.: Children look at the board and try to guess the meaning of the words:
- To be disappointed-[‘dɪsə’pɔɪntɪd] adj saddened by the failure
- A pill [pil] a small tablet of medicine
- Watch out! [ wɒtʃ] to be careful on the alert, take care
T.: And now pupils open your workbooks at page 48ex.1, look through the picture.Listen to the story “The pink pill” and number the pictures.
Tapescript “The pink pill”
Key answers 22.214.171.124.1
T.: Read the sentences and decide if they are True, False or Doesn’t say.
True False Doesn’t say
- The doctor’s name is doctor James. —- —- —-
- The man’s name is Mr. Wilkins. —- —- —-
- The doctor gives him a yellow pill for his
Headache . —- —- —-
- The man’s wife told him about pink pill. —- —- —-
- He gets a green pill on Wednesday. —- —- —-
- On Thursday the man has three health
problems. —- —- —-
- The man finally gets the pink pill on
Thursday. —- —- —-
- The man riding the bike was his friend. —- —- —-
T.: Hope you liked this funny story. And understood its moral. But tell me please What should people do to be healthy?
(Give students the pictures prepared before telling about healthy life.) They make up own sentences according to the pictures and stick them on the poster called “Healthy Life”.
S1.: We should….
S2.: We shouldn’t….
S3.: People should….
S4.: People shouldn’t….
Call one student to sum up everything children were talking while answering the question What should people do to be healthy?
People should……to have healthy life
- Sleep 8 hours a night.
- Do exercises every day.
- Eat lots of fruit and vegetables.
- Drink 8 glasses of water every day.
- Think positively. Stop stressing. Smile more.
- Whatever you do, do it with people.(join a club, go to the church, do volunteer work)
T.: So pupils you worked hard during the lesson, did lots of activities. You were bright. Your marks for today are…..
For homework get students to write their views about healthy life. (to prepare a project “Healthy life”)