We all know that life is quite uncertain in nature and you simply cannot predict what will happen the next moment. However, deep inside us is a desire to have a long and healthy life and enjoy it to the fullest without any regrets.
It is obvious that we need to be healthy for enjoying a long life. It is in our hands to take good care of ourselves which can increase our chances of enjoying a long life. While there are several factors that determine our health and longevity, we can still do our best to keep ourselves healthy. That’s the only way to enjoying a long life; a life which keeps you physically and emotionally healthy.
How to Live Long and Healthy Life?
The following are the 7 keys to help live long and healthy life which must be kept in mind every day of your life.
- Exercise Everyday – This is one of the most vital keys to live long and healthy life. Exercising on a regular basis is not only beneficial for your physical health but also for your emotional well-being. Regular exercise strengthens your body, helps to release endorphins which in turn relaxes you, reduces pain, elevates your mood and makes you feel happy. You must perform a combination of strength training exercises, cardiovascular exercises or aerobics and flexibility for better results. This will help increase your heart rate, improve blood circulation and also work on your endurance. Try to exercise for a minimum of 30-45 minutes every day.
- Watch Your Health – There is an old saying that prevention is better than cure. Taking preventive care against any health problem that you might be prone to or you may have developed, is the key to living a long and healthy life. Take in consideration familial tendencies, lifestyle factors and also environmental hazards which influence your health risks. Make sure you have your regular health checks, investigations and follow-ups as advised. Do not skip your doctor’s appointment and remember to ask about any queries you have during your visit.
- Avoid High Risk Behavior – High risk behavior can lead to accidents or mishaps which is a common cause of head and spine injury. By being careful in your everyday life and living cautiously, you can increase the quality of your life and also live longer at the same time. Protecting yourself from injuries is an important key to enjoying a long life. Always drive your vehicle carefully while obeying speed limits and wearing your seat belt at all times. Follow safety rules while on road, or during sports, swimming and adventure activities. Wear proper clothing and safety gear when indulging in any sports; especially the risky ones such as rock climbing, skydiving, snowboarding, skiing and horseback riding to name a few.
- Eat Right Everyday – Eating the right kind of foods is yet another key to live long and healthy life. Remember that your daily diet must contain good amount of protein, which gives you strength and also upholds the body’s healing capacity. Meat and animal products, lentils, quinoa, nuts and beans are some of the best sources of protein. Include 2- 3 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables, as they offer great health benefits. It helps to reduce the risk of several severe diseases, helps you stay fit and boosts the immune system to a great extent. Reduce intake of fat and sugar in your daily diet and focus on getting all the minerals and vitamins from the food you eat. If you are deficient in any vitamin or mineral, supplements for the same may be considered. Also drink at least 10 to 12 glasses of water every day to cleanse your body and free it from harmful toxins and chemicals.
- Reduce Stress – Taking too much stress and tension in your daily life will not only increase your risk of various health problems but also hold you from living long and healthy life. Stress not only affects your health, but also your performance, behavior and your relationships. Managing stress to be healthy and happy is the key to enjoying a long life. Get a minimum of 7 to 8 hours of sound sleep every night as it helps you to stay calm during the day and helps you fight stress too. Pursue a hobby of your choice, to stay away from things that depress or stress you. Also, practice yoga and meditation at least 3 to 4 times every week to reduce stress.
- Stay Happy – Staying happy is one of the most important of the 7 keys to enjoying a long life. The best way to stay happy is to do things important for you and have an aim in your life. It is good to involve in purposeful activities to feel self-worth and positive. Engaging your brain in creative activities can keep stimulating your brain, while connecting with people can add value to your life. If you are happy and emotionally strong, you will start enjoying a long healthy life.
- Lead a Healthy Lifestyle – A healthy lifestyle is an essential key to live long and healthy life. The first step is to stay away from toxic substances such as chemical fumes, asbestos, pesticides and pollutants as all of these increase the risk of health problems. If you work in an environment which requires you to get exposed to any of these toxic substances, you must wear protective clothing and safety masks or gears as need be. Other factors to consider is to drink only occasionally or to limit your alcohol intake to one drink per day, completely avoid smoking and an absolute no to recreational drugs. A healthy lifestyle includes planning a healthy routine, which includes a balance of healthy food, activity, adequate sleep, reduced stress, proper rest and relaxation.
Now that you know how to live long and healthy life, try to follow them as much as possible. As we all know, we only get one life to live and it only makes sense to make the most of it in all the ways that we can.
Was this article helpful?
This article on Epainassist.com has been reviewed by a medical professional, as well as checked for facts, to assure the readers the best possible accuracy.
We follow a strict editorial policy and we have a zero-tolerance policy regarding any level of plagiarism. Our articles are resourced from reputable online pages. This article may contains scientific references. The numbers in the parentheses (1, 2, 3) are clickable links to peer-reviewed scientific papers.
The feedback link “Was this Article Helpful” on this page can be used to report content that is not accurate, up-to-date or questionable in any manner.
This article does not provide medical advice.