If you’re interested in learning to work one-on-one with people of all ages for the purpose of fostering the creation of health, you will enjoy the healthy lifestyle management bachelor’s degree (B.A.) program. This program is designed especially for adult students in the College of Professional Studies, offered in 8-week online courses.
The Healthy Lifestyle Management major offers a degree program focused on whole person health. Learn to help others thrive in the community in which they live, work and spend their time. You’ll gain the knowledge, skill and attitude to work with people on an individual level to improve their personal health and well-being and prevent chronic diseases. Upon graduating, you will also be prepared to sit for various health and wellness coaching certification exams.
One unique aspect of this program is the interdisciplinary approach to teaching, research and practice that carries out the Ignatian “charism” of cura personalis, care for the whole person: body, mind and spirit. You can expect to grow through exploring the meaning and application of multiple dimensions of care, including relational care and self-care.
Career possibilities in this field include:
Health Educators and Health Coaches
- Provide and manage health education programs that help individuals, families and communities achieve and maintain healthylifestyles
- The national median salary for health educators is $50,430 per year.
- Employment for health educators is projected to grow 15 – 21% from 2012 to 2022, faster than average for all occupations.
- Find out more at http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/21-1091.00
- Manage or coordinate wellness programs and services in employer and community settings
- The national median salary for wellness coordinators is $72,020 per year.
- Employment for wellness coordinators is projected to grow 8 – 14% from 2012 to 2022, average for all occupations.
- The 2015 Employee Benefits Report by the Society for Human Resource Management states that 70% of U.S. employers currently offer wellness programs, and an additional 8% plan to offer one in the next 12 months.
- Find out more at http://www.onetonline.org/link/details/11-9039.02
Community Health Professionals
- Community health professionals work in a variety of positions within the community to improve health and well-being by discussing health concerns with members of specific populations or communities.
- The national median salary for community health workers is $42,450 per year.
- Employment for wellness coordinators is projected to grow 13% from 2014 to 2024, faster than the average for all occupations.
- Find out more at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/health-educators.htm
Other opportunities may include:
- Community Health Education Coordinator
- Education Coordinator
- Life Skills Coach
- Community Health Outreach Worker
- Fitness and Wellness Director
- Public Health Educator
- Community Health Program Coordinator
- Health Promotion Specialist
- Wellness Coach
- Community Health Program Representative
- Holistic Health Coach
- Wellness Program Director
Note: Salary data represents national, averaged earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment settings and job opportunities in your geographic area may vary.