Healthy diet for teenagers plays an important role in lifestyle of young individuals. Engaging in healthy habits from early years of life ensures physical and mental health and fitness for years to come.
Unfortunately, nowadays, more and more teenagers become overweight and even obese. This is not a surprise, as the quality of food becomes poorer every year and the quantity we are advised to consume by dietitians and offered by popular chain restaurants increases dramatically and unreasonably.
The important part in teenage weight gain also plays lack of exercise. They spend more time in front of the computer or TV instead of being outdoors.
Consequently, this kind of lifestyle leads to excess weight, obesity and other potentially life threatening diseases. Therefore, it is very important to stop and reverse the weight gain in teenagers as early as possible.
Both teens and their parents need to realize that weight issues in youngsters are caused by overall unhealthy lifestyle and not just poor quality food. And to solve the problem they should try to include healthy habits into their everyday life.
But what about healthy diet for teenagers?
Of course there are. First of all, it is important to remember that young developing body requires lots of nurture to satisfy adequate growth.
If teenager will go on a calorie restricting diet or will exclude one or more food groups from his daily menu, such as in low carb or low fat diet, he will interfere with the normal body cell development causing dangerous and often irreversible changes in his or her body.
So it is essential to consume enough calories from variety of foods to ensure healthy development and strong immune system.
The two main healthy diet for teenagers rules are:
- 1. Lose weight slowly but surely, do not seek fast results.
- 2. Do not go on popular weight loss diets for adults as they will ruin your health.
The key to healthy diet for teenagers is to get rid of excess body fat and maintain healthy muscle weight.
This can be achieved through regular exercise and physical activity. Simple walking, jogging, running, or swimming are considered light cardio exercises that take an important part in any successful weight loss plan both for adults and especially teens.
These types of exercise are easy enough to perform and they speed up metabolism and let your body burn fat. Without being physically active it will be impossible to lose weight and be healthy.
So rule # 3 is:
EXERCISE, EXERCISE and EXERCISE every day!
Teenage Healthy Diet Plan
First of all, healthy diet for teenagers should never be as restrictive as some weight loss diets for adults are. The teenage diet menu should always be individually adjusted and consist of favorite and most tolerable foods.
For example, we all know that broccoli is healthy, but if you hate broccoli, do not force yourself to eat it. Choose something similar but more favorable, such as asparagus or spinach, or romaine lettuce salad.
Once or twice a week allow yourself a little treat in form of your favorite snack or ice cream or cake.
Never go cold turkey on your favorite food, as you will be craving it the most.
Gradual transformation will allow you to stay in peace with yourself and ensure great long term success. And do not forget to take your multivitamins and drink plenty of fresh water.
Sample Healthy Diet for Teenagers Menu
- Breakfast – 1 cup of cottage cheese with berries, 1 hard-boiled egg, 1 cup of low fat milk or tea.
- Lunch – 5 oz of chicken breast, 1 bowl of vegetable soup, 1 baked potato.
- Snack – 1 glass of vegetable juice or smoothie, 1 whole wheat toast with 1 teaspoon of butter.
- Dinner – 3-5 oz fish with salad.
- Breakfast – Omelet with 2 eggs and 2 slices of lean turkey, 1 whole bran toast, 1 cup of low fat milk or tea.
- Lunch – 3-5 oz fish, salad, ½ cup brown rice.
- Snack – Fruit salad with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or walnuts.
- Dinner – 1 cup of yogurt, 1 cup of cottage cheese with fruit.
- Breakfast – 2 whole bran toasts with sliced turkey, 2 tomatoes, 1 cup of tea or low fat milk.
- Lunch – 1 bowl of vegetable soup, 1 egg, 1 baked potato, salad.
- Snack – 1 cup of yogurt with whole grain English muffin.
- Dinner – 5 oz chicken breast with salad, green tea.
- Breakfast – 1 hard boiled egg, 1 cup of warm whole grain cereal with berries, 1 cup of tea.
- Lunch – 1 cup of vegetable bean soup, 1 omelet with mushrooms, salad.
- Snack – Fruit salad with whole grain toast.
- Dinner – 1 baked potato with low fat sour cream and cheese, cucumber salad.
You will be amazed how quickly your young growing body will burn excess fat with the help of the above healthy diet for teenagers menu and regular exercise. Just remember, consistency is the key to your success!