Answer these questions about your health and lifestyle to know how healthy you are!  |  Photo Credit: Getty Images
- Our health is extremely important and assessing our habits can help us be healthier
- On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your overall health?
New Delhi: Your health is where it all begins, and all ends. Everything we do in life revolves around living a healthy and happy life. However, more often than not, we do not know what is happening inside our bodies. Answering a few questions about own body, diet, lifestyle habits, etc can help us understand our body better.
This Personal Health Assessment covers the areas for healthy and happy living. I’m wildly passionate about helping people become healthy and happy. Whether you’re new to healthy living or a veteran who just needs a little ‘push’ back in the right direction, I’m here to guide and cheer you on. So let’s get to it.
On a scale of 1 – 10, how would you rate your overall health?
How do you feel about your health right now? Do you feel energised, vibrant, well-rested? What would you like to change? Why? My guess is that you’re looking for some improvements. Chances are you have some habits that need changing. Grab a piece of paper and a pencil and answer the questions that follow. Rate yourself on a scale of 1-10 for each question, and total the marks you give yourself for each category. At the end of the test, the total marks for each category will help you determine the areas you need to work on. Remember, nobody else is going to see your results, and there are no actual grades here, so be honest.
Diet plays a very important role in keeping us healthy. Answer these questions about your diet to know what you are doing right or wrong.
- Do you cook your own meals?
- Do you eat at least 4 to 5 servings of fruits & vegetables a day?
- Do you eat real butter, cow ghee, olive oil, mustard oil or coconut oil?
- Do you avoid processed foods at least 80% of the week (like chips, crackers, food bars, store-bought cookies, cakes, doughnuts etc.)?
- Do you eat naturally fermented foods like yoghurt, homemade pickles etc?
- Do you read labels on the food you buy at least 90% of the time?
- Do you generally eat when you’re hungry and stop when you feel full?
- Do you eat fried food?
- Do you eat junk food?
Physical activity is important
Physical activity and exercise play a very important role in reducing the risk of diseases and helping us treat them better. exercise is fundamental when it comes to a healthy body and mind. Answer these questions to know if you need to incorporate more exercise in your routine to stay healthy.
- Do you exercise (such as hiking, climbing, running, lifting weights, power yoga, swimming laps, playing outdoor games, Zumba, etc.) at least 2 times a week for 20 or more minutes?
- Do you move at an easy to moderate level such as walking, doing basic housework, gentle yoga etc?
- Do you take hourly breaks while working at a desk to get up, walk, and stretch?
- Can you walk up two flights upstairs without needing to catch your breath?
- Can you run for thirty seconds without feeling like passing out?
- Can you do 5 ‘perfect’ push-ups (‘girl style’ is okay)?
- Can you touch your toes without bending your knees?
With modernisation and the concepts of virtual assistants, smartphones and streaming websites, we have sadly lost touch with nature. This has led to increased health issues among people. Living closely with nature, and feeding your body as naturally as possible, is the way to go for a healthy living.
- Do you have at least 5 real plants inside your home?
- Do you get outside for a few minutes most days?
- Do you remove your shoes when you enter your home?
- Do you use commercial, ‘non-natural’ shampoos?
- Do you utilize over the counter meds (like painkillers) 2 or more times a month?
- Do you use commercial air fresheners, scented candles, or other artificial fragrances in your home?
- Do you wear commercial make up most days?
- Do you use non-natural cleaners in your home?
- Do you wear scented lotions, perfumes, cologne, or other artificial fragrances? Do you use Teflon non-stick pans frequently?
Sleeping well and stressing less
- Do you get 7+ hours of sleep most nights?
- Do you go to bed before 11 PM most nights? (4 points)
- Can you fall asleep easily and stay asleep most nights?
- Do you feel like you are able to manage everyday stress well?
- Do you make time for fun, leisure, and friends every week?
- Do you enjoy what you do for a living?
- Do you feel excited about the projects and plans you have for the future?
- Do you consider yourself a generally happy person?
Your score does not determine your value as a human being. There will be no notice to your parents or red marks on your forehead. Even if you scored zero, you are still on the right path. So let’s take a look at your score.
If the total for each individual category is,
- 40+ points: Um, awesome! Keep it up.
- 30+ points: Not bad but here’s definitely room for improvement.
- 20 points or lower: This area needs attention. Let’s get to work.
Once you’ve added up your score for each section you are ready to change your life in a healthy way, making simple and small changes that will bring lasting results.
What you need to do is change your weaknesses into strengths. This test will guide you, rather remind you about how to stay healthy in a positive and natural way.
If you are ill, concern yourself with getting well….and if you are well, concern yourself with keeping well, the Natural way. Be happy, Stay Fit and Positive always.
(Disclaimer: The author, Dr Aradhna, Certified Naturopath, is a guest contributor and a part of our medical expert panel. Views expressed are personal)