Can A Pregnant Woman Take Pepto Bismol For Heartburn – 10 Tips For Heartburn
Can A Pregnant Woman Take Pepto Bismol For Heartburn – 10 Tips For Heartburn - can a pregnant woman take pepto bismol for heartburn? During pregnancy, many women suffer from heartburn, especially during the second and third trimester. The reason for this may be the gradual enlargement of the uterus, pressing on the stomach, or eating habits. We will explain what to look for and what can help with heartburn in pregnancy.
What is heartburn at all?
- 1 What is heartburn at all?
- 2 What causes heartburn in General?
- 3 Why heartburn on while pregnant?
- 4 How common is heartburn on while pregnant?
- 5 How long does Your heartburn in pregnancy?
- 6 How to prevent heartburn?
- 7 What foods should I avoid heartburn in pregnancy?
- 8 What helps against heartburn in pregnancy-tips and home remedies
- 9 Do I have to treat pregnancy heartburn to the doctor?
- 10 Can I take medication for heartburn in pregnancy?
Under the Heartburn is defined as a burning pain behind the breastbone, up from the upper abdomen and emits may be up to the throat and neck. Often, this results in a regurgitation of acidic or bitter. This is due to stomach acid flowing back from the stomach into the esophagus (reflux), causing pain.
But what happens when heartburn is actually in our body? We need gastric acid, among others in the digestive process. In the stomach of the food, pulp processed by the stomach acid so that nutrients can be well received. In addition, 0.5% hydrochloric acid to kill harmful bacteria. Our abdominal wall is provided with a protective layer, known as the gastric mucosa, so acid can damage any network. A sphincter between the stomach and the esophagus prevent stomach acid flows into the esophagus. Should be now, but stomach acid in the esophagus due to various reasons, there are irritated mucosa. This pain is usually referred to as “heartburn”.
What causes heartburn in General?
Heartburn can have many causes. Often our lifestyle and dietary triggers for heartburn. Stress, smoking, alcohol, coffee or overweight stomach doing us no good. But pregnant women who most often suffer from heartburn. Of course, sometimes the disease can trigger, so a doctor should be consulted for a complaint.
Especially frequent heartburn, however, caused by a poor diet. For fast food and high-fat, highly flavored fizzy drinks or sweets and increases the production of stomach acid.
Why heartburn on while pregnant?
During pregnancy heartburn occurs very often. There are several reasons: first, to introduce changes in hormone levels cause the sphincter muscle, which is located between the esophagus and the stomach, less uptight. This allows stomach acid is easy to ride.
In addition, the growth of the uterus pressing on internal organs and thus also on the belly. It is also causing tension reduced from sphincter and thus increase stomach acid.
In the last trimester of pregnancy, which can be started and the movement of the baby presses the stomach and also sent to the stomach acid. In General, the combination of all these factors is the cause of heartburn in pregnancy.
How common is heartburn on while pregnant?
Heartburn is one of the most common complaints during pregnancy. 40 to 80% of pregnant women suffer from burning is no fun, especially in the last trimester of pregnancy.
No wonder that with the progress of pregnancy heartburn is common. For a baby who continues to grow need more and more space in the abdominal cavity.
How long does Your heartburn in pregnancy?
Heartburn notice fun most women around the middle of the pregnancy, but also in early pregnancy heartburn may occur. During the last trimester of pregnancy affect up to 80% of women in a range of thicknesses from heartburn. Small consolation: The heartburn disappears after pregnancy immediately by itself.
How to prevent heartburn?
So, protect your stomach as much as possible during pregnancy, you should pay attention to a few things while eating. Certain foods and beverages can promote heartburn. The following are things you should consider when packed:
- Take more some small snacks from some great. It protects your stomach. Food is also not to be too oily or too spicy.
- Carbonated beverages can also cause heartburn. Whether you prefer still water, juice or tea. Even canned coffee stomach weights. You must be in pregnancy still not drinking too much.
- Dinner not too late. Allow enough time between the last meal and sleep.
Eat slowly and chew thoroughly. Your stomach will thank you.
- Some foods sparked more than heartburn. This is called acid Locker ensures an increase in the production of stomach acid. Among the acid blockers include candy, nuts, coffee, alcohol (one now fixed should not drink) and fruit.
What foods should I avoid heartburn in pregnancy?
The right choice of food, we play on heartburn, especially if you are pregnant, the main role. Because of the different food and drink also stimulates the production of gastric acid to, naturally contain a lot of fat, especially acid or old-fashioned. This is true for heartburn in pregnancy, during breastfeeding, as well as vice versa.
The following groups of foods and drinks can trigger heartburn:
Promote the formation of gastric acid:
- Coffee and black tea
- The highly spiced foods
- Candy (chocolate)
- Beans (except almonds!)
Contained a lot of acid:
- Carbonated beverages
- Red and white wine
A lot of fat includes:
- Fries (fries, chips)
- Fat cold cuts
- Meat feat
- Fat baked goods (cakes, cream doughnut)
Hard to Swallow:
- Legumes (beans, peas)
- Cabbage and herb varieties (kale, cabbage)
- Egg, boiled
Sometimes the omission of these foods and beverages can help already make heartburn until the birth of unbearable or even eliminate.
What helps against heartburn in pregnancy-tips and home remedies
When heartburn in pregnancy can often help home remedies. The drugs should only be taken in an emergency. Talk with your doctor before you have access to the drugs.
10 Tips for heartburn: this home remedy can alleviate symptoms:
- Oatmeal or a piece of white bread helps to bind the acid. If it is to go fast, you can also chew 1-2 tablespoons of dry oatmeal right.
- Reach for a banana is also useful because it stimulates the production of mucus and protect the stomach lining. To 3 bananas a day is fine.
- Drinking a glass of milk after dinner or grab a yogurt that protects the esophagus. In addition, milk and yogurt promote digestion.
- Also, munching peanuts and almonds can be helpful in heartburn.
- Lift the bed while sleeping to prevent increased stomach acid.
- Sleep is the best on the left side, because it is too belly. So the left side sleep difficult flow of gastric acid.
- Chew slowly than boiled potatoes or raw carrots can help neutralize stomach acid.
- Some pregnant women also help only a big glass of water is still drinkable.
- The healing of the Earth is also a home remedy that is known. Questions, but please before buying your doctor or pharmacist if you are allowed to use healing clay.
- If you like, You quietly chew a small piece of ginger. If you like your tea, it can boil 1 teaspoon grated ginger with hot water, let it soak for about 10 minutes, then strain and drink. Ginger helps the way also with the nausea.
There are no home remedies that will help all pregnant women are just as good. Therefore, you should pay attention to your body and what it does well. The good news is: the heartburn disappears after pregnancy soon.
Do I have to treat pregnancy heartburn to the doctor?
Conceive naturally wonder if heartburn has consequences for the health of themselves and the baby. While the heartburn is fun, is usually not harmful to mothers and children. Especially when there are no gastrointestinal problems during pregnancy heartburn during pregnancy, there is usually nothing to worry about.
If you want to play it safe, or have a very strong discomfort and pain, of course you should seek medical attention.
Can I take medication for heartburn in pregnancy?
In fact, the majority of pregnant women suffer from heartburn. Fortunately the complaints are not always very strong, so that proper diet and simple home remedies to the birth can often help already.
Unfortunately, there are also pregnant women who suffer from hot, take a proper complaint. Then it was to go right in any case to a doctor to rule out other causes could be and get help.
At a pharmacy you can buy non-prescription drugs that bind to the acidic local Act, called the antasida. Known as the antacid Maalozan, Rennie or omeprazole active substances. Your doctor or pharmacist will tell you if and where appropriate drugs when you are pregnant. Don’t treat pregnancy heartburn natural treatment for yourself!